I am strong ... I am woman hear me roar!!!

I am strong ... I am woman hear me roar!!!

About Me

My photo
A passionate, smart, educated, loving, black female, college graduate, who is strong and finding her way in this insane world! Disclaimer: I am by no means a professional writer SO DON'T JUDGE ME!

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Racism Still Alive... thriving on Social Networks

In the midst of all that is going on in this country right now I felt it necessary to write this post.
I am appalled at the level of ignorance in America. I feel that today even in spite of us overcoming and achieving the top most prestigious honor of having a black President, there is still this racism lingering around putting a bad taste in everyone's mouth!


I look back in history at all the things that people had to endure to get us rights, equality, and even just for "black" to be socially acceptable. And now even in 2012 we still are being attacked with racial undertones.
Social media has given a lot of people a voice that they truly don't have otherwise. They get to hide behind twitter or facebook and say shit that they normally wouldn't dare say out loud. LOOK, this is it... let me tell you first hand that your social media site (whether it be twitter, facebook, you tube, whatever) is suppose to be a direct reflection of you, stop saying stuff for show!! I tweet things that give you insight into who I am as a person, no need to lie for a RT or more followers. I'M SO FUCKING TIRED OF PEOPLE PERPETRATING ON TWITTER ACTING LIKE SOMETHING THEY AREN'T.  OR BETTER YET.. THEY HAVE BEEN LIVING THEIR LIVES AS A LIE AND NOW THEY HAVE THE "COURAGE" TO BE THEM VIA INTERNET! HAVE A DAMN SEAT PLEASE!!!!
 Yes it is your page and you should have the right to state your opinion on your page. But some folks have gone too damn far!


One of my favorite things to watch on Youtube is a web series called The Mis-Adventures of Awkward Black Girl! It is a great show funny, witty, and I can relate to it! But to make a long story short she won a Shorty Award for it! (YAYYY she deserves it) However, the backlash from her winning that Shorty Award was crazy, people on twitter talking about "I can't believe I lost to a niggerette", and "of course the black one wins"! WTF excuse me! Read her response here!!!


Another example, I was having a conversation last night with one of my male friends and we had this same discussion about how people get this "courage" to say ignorant shit via twitter. He was telling me about The Hunger Games (and no I haven't read the book or seen the movie) but he was telling me how the book described some of the main characters and how they came out in the actual motion picture. He talked about how people were so outraged that one of the main characters was portrayed in the movie by a black girl! He told me that in the book though she was described as having a darker complexion, so he couldn't understand why so many people were so bothered by the casting choice! I take it that this girls character was a major one in the story and I was told that she had a very powerful, moving death scene that made a lot of people very emotional when reading the book. But the same people who were balling in tears reading the book, went to the movies and saw she was black & had the audacity to say "oh she's black oh I don't care anymore about her dying" and "damn why did they make her character black"! ARE U KIDDING ME!  Oh so because she doesn't look like you her death is of no importance or loses value! This is the problem... This is why there is a dead 17 year old in Florida in a coffin, in a grave while his known killer is chillin!


Ignorance is running rampant in this country and it needs to be stopped. Assumptions, racial profiling, stereotyping... All of it is ignorance!  I didn't even know how many people in this country felt the way they feel about black people... Don't be fooled there are a lot! "Racism still alive they just be concealing It"... A famous line by Kanye West and I believe it more than ever today. Even right now with all of the tension in the country over the Trayvon Martin situation people still don't see the error in their ways. We are ALL people, we all bleed red blood and breath oxygen! God made us visibly different but not to tear us apart or to have dumbass racist use twitter to be passive aggressive. If you have an issue with black people don't hide behind your social network account...regardless of your issue, you are still wrong... WE ARE ALL CREATED EQUAL! A person with an ignorant perception can only see what they want! Maybe if some people's perception was different Trayvon Martin would still be alive. CHANGE! Live Love Learn!

No comments: